This is one of the recipes that I used to love it when my mum used to make it. My cooking never tastes quite as good as here but then again I think most people would say that about their Mum’s cooking (or dad’s if you had a dad that enjoyed cooking). Hopefully my boys will think that of my food one day.
Now this recipe was a little …. umm…. dated so I have…. modernized it…. just a little and added veggies to it.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Oven: 230°C then reduce to 180°C (450°F reduce to 350°F)
- What you will need:
- 500 g (1lb) minced beef
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (20 g) butter
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen veggies (I use the peas, corn and carrot mix)
- salt and pepper
- What to do:
- Place 1 sheet of pastry over the pie dish to allow to thaw (add flour or butter to the dish to reduce sticking)
- In a pan brown the onion in butter
- the meat and cook until browned
- Add stock, sauces seasonings; simmer 5 minutes.
- Once the base has settled into the dish, fill with meat mixture
- Cover with 2nd pastry sheet and prick top
- Brush with milk
- Bake in a hot oven (230°C) for 15 minutes
- Reduce heat to moderate (180°C) and cook a further 20 minutes
- until golden brown.
Things that may help: